1. Go to sleep within 3 hours of sunset or at least keep a regular schedule for bedtime.
2. Don't eat a big meal close to bedtime. Small snacks should be fine.
3. Don't exercise at night.
4. Avoid caffeine for eight or ten hours before bed.
5. Stay away from bright lights - keep your lights low before bed time
6. Avoid loud music or watching TV before bed. Read a book, take a warm bath, do yoga (though that wakes up some people) , write in a journal or meditate instead.
7. Make sure the room is completely dark or use an eyemask.
8. Make sure the temperature in your bedroom is not too hot and there is fresh air.
9. Put on some relaxing essential oils or aromatherapy.
10. Develop a bedtime ritual, certain activities that mean "time to go to sleep."